Featured MORE THAN PINK Walk Team:
In December 2016, Bonnie Kiss was diagnosed with lobular invasive carcinoma — just five days before Christmas and seven days before her 59th birthday. From the beginning of her fight, she was determined to not let her breast cancer diagnosis define her.
She was also determined to make the most of her diagnosis by helping others in her community who were walking the same path she has. The September following her diagnosis, Bonnie asked her daughters to support her and walk alongside her at the Race for the Cure (now MORE THAN PINK Walk).
Ever since that first walk in 2017, Bonnie’s team — Forever Grateful — has walked year after year, raising essential lifesaving dollars in the fight against breast cancer.
“I knew I wanted to fundraise and pay it forward for someone else, so that they could hopefully have a great outcome like I did,” Bonnie said.
To date, Forever Grateful has raised over $12,500 for the MORE THAN PINK Walk since its start in 2017. Even more impressive, Bonnie herself has raised over $11,600 for the Walk since 2017.
“Our motivation to fundraise is knowing that a simple ask of a donation can make a big difference in someone else’s life,” Bonnie said.
To register for the Southeast Wisconsin MORE THAN PINK Walk on September 22 at Henry Maier Festival Park, click here.
Check out other featured teams:
FRIENDS For LIFE
FRIENDS For LIFE is leading the charge when it comes to raising essential lifesaving dollars in the fight against breast cancer. For the last 12 years, FRIENDS For LIFE has gathered dedicated walkers to join them at the MORE THAN PINK Walk. Last year their team boasted over 70 team members.
“Our team is unique as it was started by two dear friends after one was diagnosed with breast cancer,” said team captain Beth Stillmank. “Year after year the team grew, not only in team members, but also in survivors — and all the survivors uniquely have some connection to one another by threads of coincidence.”
Last year, the team collectively raised $36,479.20. FRIENDS For LIFE team member and breast cancer survivor Joan Saperstein was also the top fundraiser for the 2018 Walk, raising nearly $24,000.
“Our goal is to raise funds to find a cure so that no one else has to go through what our team’s survivors have and to fund research to find more treatments to save lives,” said Beth.
According to Beth, being a part of a MORE THAN PINK Walk team is wonderful and meaningful. Here are a few of her tips for organizing a successful team:
- Start a spreadsheet. That is the only way to keep in touch with a teammate from year to year. Each year there are a few more members, the team grows slowly, and you don’t want to miss inviting anyone to walk.
- When someone registers, send an email of welcome – let them know they are appreciated. If they have also donated, be sure to thank them for their donation in the same note.
- Thank your donors as many times as you can. Send an immediate email of thanks, then send a handwritten note of thanks. Finally, be sure to thank your donors when you see them or talk to them on the phone.
- Honor your survivors. Our beautiful survivors have such courage and strength. Say a few words when you gather before the Walk. Let your survivors know that everyone on the team admires and loves them.
- Finally, know that the staff at Komen is there to answer your questions and they will do it with a smile – there is no staff as helpful and as upbeat as the women at the Komen office.